59 years of Ferguson Transport & Shipping!!
As Ferguson Transport and Shipping approach their 60th year, the company has seen dramatic growth over the last decade with the company expanding into shipping, port facilities and rail to name but a few. The fleet has also grown exponentially with the company now operating, throughout the length and breadth of the country, with over 70 trucks and 170+ trailers.
Ferguson Transport was founded in 1959 by the late Archie Ferguson with his wife Anne in Ardrishaig, Argyll. Archie’s uncle, Andrew Grindlaw was the first haulage contractor in Ardrishaig and operated horse-drawn carts and coaches in the early days. Archie worked with his uncle for some years after he completed National Service, before starting out on his own. Farm feed, forestry and general haulage were the typical types of transport carried out in the early 1960s.
Archie Ferguson played a major part in clearing up the large wind blow in the late 1960s in Argyll, and subsequent to this when the forestry work dried up in Argyll, Archie and Anne then moved with the family to Spean Bridge, Lochaber in 1974 to load and unload ships at the Corpach Basin for Wiggins Teape Pulp and Paper Mill as well as transporting Roundwood to Riddoch of Rothemay Sawmill, at Corpach, the sawmill site Ferguson Transport & Shipping now own.
Please see below images courtesy of Hamish Ross of days gone by of both Ardrishaig yard and workshop, as well as some images of the first Ferguson haulage trucks. Also pictured below are some images from Mr Ross showing models of the fleet done at the time he worked for Archie Ferguson.